Wednesday, June 25, 2008

... And It Rains.

First, thanks for the emails and stuff concerning my concerns with the concernity (lol) of my saga with my $12. Fortunately or maybe unfortunately... I got busy this week with stuff and haven't had the chance to take up arms against the empire again. Maybe today is the day. I'll keep you filled in.


And now, we need a break from the rain. Seriously. This is just out of hand now. Folks all up and down the rivers are getting washed away, the most prime and productive farmland in this whole country is under water. Here where we live, we're on high enough ground to have our home safe, at least til I see pairs of animals strolling by on their way to the big boat. But it's rained enough that there are thousands and thousands of acres that are not planted yet.... and it's pretty much down to the wire now. We haven't been able to get any hay cut and baled, and we've got about 300 acres of it that we haven't touched, that is now past being prime feed and is starting to go down flat to the ground.

It really ain't too pretty.

Yesterday our power was off and on all day with the weather. Finally at the last outage I just gave up and went to bed. And the weather that caused it? I have no idea how many inches we got yesterday and last nite and is still coming down hard this morning, but here's the field across the road from our house. That usually is a small ditch that you can step across. Most of the field is under water now and rising.










Gah!

So I thought I'd throw in some nice quotes about rain, but most of 'em made me gag, so I've got some of my own as well.


“The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain.” Longfellow


“I'm singing in the rain, just singing in the rain; What a wonderful feeling, I'm happy again.” Arthur Freed


"Oh rain, oh rain, oh glorious rain. BEAT IT!" Jace Weber


“Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.” Tagore


"Rain? Again? Gimmee my gun Sal, I gotta weatherman to go obliterate!" Jace Weber


“And when it rains on your parade, look up rather than down. Without the rain, there would be no rainbow.” Chesterton


"I think there's an aligator in the basement" Sally Weber


“I love the rain. I want the feeling of it on my face.” Mansfield


"AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! MORE DAMNED RAIN!!!!!! YYAAAAHHHBBBBAAAALLLAAAAABBBAAAALLAAAA" Jace Weber


“If love is shelter, I'm going to walk in the rain.” Unknown


"Look honey... there goes the neighbors house down the creek. Look! They're waving! Hi Dale! Hi Linda!" Jace Weber





.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes...that looks more like the Meramec river, not a ditch! I had to drive up to Jeff City yesterday in the pouring rain - not fun.

Looks like today is even worse for you all....hope it doesn't drive you stark raving mad AND that the ditch doesn't carry your house away!
Cheers, Katie

Mary ann said...

On our way home last Saturday, we saw many many flooded fields, and some of them had corn that was doing nicely until the floods. Then we saw clean up in progress in Cedar Rapids, IA, and that is heartbreaking, too. Block after block of entire households worth of "stuff" waiting to be picked up and taken to a land fill. Please, God, send the rain to TX and CA, where they really need it.

Lindah said...

AMEN! Yes, please send some here to
CA!

Anonymous said...

It's just awful, no doubt. All that thousands - millons? - of acres drowned or not planted. What a strange, disastrous season so far. Take care there, Jace. It's sure gonna be tough to take care of cows with no hay.

Vicky said...

It's just heartbreaking to read about and see all the destruction. Glad you're high and dry! And it's a darn good thing Ruby eats jello instead of hay, huh? LOL